So many models and photographers have asked me about Facebook in the past week that I give up. Here it is. And here's my ModelMayhem profile, for that matter.

Q. So, wait, your stage name and your pen name don't match?

A. Nope!

Q. Is your name really Circe?

A. Nope!

Q. Is your name really Arabella?

A. Nope!

Q. Why didn't you use the same alias for both?

A. I started modeling in 2004. I do glamour and pin-ups, and I was attempting to keep skeevy people from finding me and following me home. At the time I was still writing under a net.nick rather than a mock-real pen name, and it never occurred to me that the two would collide.

Q. Why use pseudonyms at all?

A. There are crazy people in my past. I would really rather they stayed there. I make no bones about the fact that I think they're crazy, and I plan to continue airing my opinions for the forseeable future, but outing them by name would neither fix their behavior nor change what they did when I was still in contact with them. The stories may benefit someone else who's going through something similar; personal accusations would not.

Q. Where did you get the names you use?

A. Circe was the name of a sorceress in Greek myth who ruled an island full of women. Men who landed there were, er, "transported across the state lines for immoral purposes", as the Mann Act put it, and then turned into farm animals for safekeeping. It sounded fancy and people remembered it, so I kept it.

"Arabella Flynn" came about because the aforementioned crazy people basically forced me to give up the net.nick I'd been using for the past fifteen years in order to make them go away. I decided I wanted something that sounded like it might be a real name, in case I ever managed to publish a book made of actual paper instead of IP datagrams. I cribbed it from Captain Blood, in which Olivia de Havilland's character is named Arabella, and the titular pirate is played by Errol Flynn. I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a wrong time to involve Errol Flynn in something, and Olivia de Havilland is still -- in her nineties! -- an awesome and magnanimous lady.

Q. I'm a photographer/casting director. How do I book you?

A. Email me at circered@gmail.com. I don't have an agent, although that may change shortly. I hate phones and don't give out the number unless we're already in contact, or I'm in a position to personally hand you a comp card. I model, act, sing, and can probably still dance if prompted, and I work in the Greater Boston Area.

Q. Will you Friend me?

A. I don't know, probably? It's not particularly necessary, that Facebook page is fully public, and there's nothing extra to see if you're Friended. I'm not great about checking Facebook messages, so don't have a cow if I don't get back to you for a few days,.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The mystery of "Himmmm"

WARNING! Sweeping generalizations inside!