Things To Do On Vacation: Stretches & Workouts

Week Four: Things To Start Your New Year's Resolutions With

Maybe you're already a student eyeing the resumption of classes in January with a certain amount of dread. Still cool -- if your mind is already slightly over-expanded, maybe you'd like to concentrate on your body instead.

Yoga with Adriene. I'm not big into yoga myself; I find a lot of practices both grandiose and vapid, having been run into the ground by Yuppie idiots who think that stretching is enough to make them "spiritual". The only yoga class I've ever taken was with an actual Indian lady who treated it a lot like conditioning for modern dance, something which I can get on board with. Adriene is a very normal, chatty human being who explains things in terms of physiology and occasional snarky pop culture references, and uses yoga for purposes of relaxation and stress relief. She's not perfect ("yoga for weight loss" is not an actual thing), but I find her less of a pretentious git than many YouTube wanna-be yogis.

Kathryn Morgan. Kathryn is a former soloist with the New York City Ballet, who has gone into YouTube for her post-performance career, and offers a number of lessons on everything from master classes to basic stretching routines. Don't expect to bend like her immediately -- I mean, I do, but I have a documented medical condition -- and listen to her when she very sensibly admits that some of this shit hurts. You don't have to do the hurty bits, but it's educational to know what exactly ballet dancers think of as "fine", that normal humans would balk at.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The mystery of "Himmmm"

Fun things to feed rats