Wow. I've gotten really bad at this updating thing.

Time management, as a concept, is getting slippery. It's not so much work-life balance; artistic work tends to become your life. That's fine. This is what I did with myself when I had way too much time on my hands and I thought I should at least try to do something. I still seem to be enjoying it, so at least I'm doing the correct thing with my life now.

Maestra has started making comments to the effect that it, "maybe would be better with flamenco shoes," big polite smile! Maestra is originally from Japan, and I have spent way more time translating Japanese-person English to American than I ever have translating Japanese to English. I know perfectly well that this means "please go buy the proper equipment now", with an undertone of "I think you could be good at this if you had the chance to do it right". I have no way to do that, because I can't afford any of it. The main reason I get meals is that my roommates keep buying groceries and it has been made clear that I am supposed to eat them.

I am making an attempt to buy it myself, by which I mean that grant writing is now like my fifth part time job. I just submitted one for Next Steps, which if I get it, means free studio time, consultants, and $5000 (yes, that is the correct number of zeroes) towards building a career. I won't know until January, so I am going to make every effort to forget about it until 2019. Some of the grants aren't money; I've put in for the local National Choreography Month showcase, and I think that might just give a metric fuckton of rehearsal time and possibly reimbursement for materials.

If there's anyone out there who finds themselves thinking how uncomfortable it is to sleep on giant piles of money, feel free to buy me some decent dance gear. Or just some random shit. For some reason, I cope okay with the choice between "buy transit pass and skip meals" and "walk 8 miles round-trip for class but have a sandwich", but it irks me that I can't get my white coat dry cleaned or buy new pajamas for Christmas.

You can also PayPal me money towards new rats, which I am attempting to get from Mainely Rat Rescue. You can support me as an artist and/or a human via Patreon. I have to re-rig the benefits so they're all something I can do consistently, but I'll get there. I hope.

Or kick in for a Boston Dance Alliance membership, which I have been trying and failing to scrape together for six months now. I am getting tired of being too broke to make more money, and I won't know if I've managed to fix that until at least 2019.

I am doing an Advent Calendar this year, though, so stay tuned for that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The mystery of "Himmmm"

Fun things to feed rats