Friends, Romans, shambling undead hordes who hunger for brains -- lend me your ears eyeballs. It is October, the month of our favorite frivolous holiday, Halloween. Trick-or-treating is probably cancelled this year, but that doesn't prevent you from dressing strangely and showing off on webcam, or just lurking in your front window creeping out all the neighbors. 

I have been making my own costumes for 15+ years now. Back in the day, I was actually in charge of making outfits for large friend groups -- one memorable year, we needed seven Hogwarts scarves, and I had to start knitting in July. Although at this point I am pretty good at draping my own garments (even on myself!), I've also got a knack for kit-bashing things together from patterns you can buy from McCall's. I have a running specialty in tailoring and trim work that require hand-stitching, because apparently nobody knows how to do that anymore. 

Thus, this month, I answer questions. Submit your costuming quandaries as a comment here, email to miss{dot}arabella{dot}flynn{at}gmail{dot}com, or message me on Twitter (@ArabellaFlynn), Facebook (facebook.com/circe.rowan), or Instagram (@CirceRowan). I'll do my best to explain things to you on the interwebs. Ask me anything about costumes, odds are either I've attempted to do it myself or I know someone who sells it on Etsy. I've run up dresses, made tchotchkes and jewelry, styled wigs, and taught people face-painting and stage makeup. A solid 80% of my job as a costumer is just knowing what things are called so I can find a cheap one on eBay. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The mystery of "Himmmm"

WARNING! Sweeping generalizations inside!