I was all set to post something chipper today, about turning 42 in a month. Some chatter about plans, the requisite Hitchhiker's Guide jokes, speculation about whether I could swing getting myself some show tickets or Yet Another Pair Of Shoes.

But instead, I have to say goodbye to Cheese tomorrow.

He's had intermittent breathing issues for a while. So far he's always recovered to his normal self, albeit not before having a rotten couple of hours and panicking his Mommy a lot. And he came back the last time as well, but he seems just... tired. The ordinary Old Rat problems have started to creep in, unrelated to his lungs. His back feet aren't a lot of help anymore. He can boost himself straight up about three tries out of every four, but if he tries to reverse or change direction, his hips tip out from under him, and he rolls onto his side. He's stopped trying to groom his hind end, and has very limited tolerance for me coming at him with baby wipes. 

I can keep him pretty well decongested, but it involves a lot of Benadryl. He's stable for the moment, but eternally sleepy. It's all right for a few days, but not much of a life. He asks for a lot of ibuprofen. I think he's ready to rejoin his brother.

Right now we are on Day 2 of his going-away féria. So far Cheese has had two entire cocktail shrimp plus several of my leftover tails, macaroni and cheese with chunks of the nice canned tuna, some apple, some strawberries, some blueberries, countless Cheerios, and roughly his own body weight in fresh cantaloupe. His dinner last night was a chunk of melon the size of his own head, and I watched him sit there and gnaw it all the way down to the rind. Oh, and as much butterscotch pudding as his wee little heart desires, which as it turns out is a lot. And on top of all that, he's just flipped today's dinner bowl over to dig the frozen peas out of the bottom.

I have no idea where he's putting it. He's not that big a rat. 

When he's not sleeping or eating, Cheese is getting all the pets he'll tolerate. He's fond of being rubbed behind the ears so gently I'm only just tickling the longest guard hairs on his coat. I think this might be rat ASMR. We've gotten some good boggles in.

I never use Lyft for myself, but Cheese hates the T almost as passionately as he loves cantaloupe, so for once I'll be calling a car for the trip out. I can get back by myself on the train, where I don't have to talk to anyone.

I'm always torn up when I have to make the call myself, but at least I know that way I give them the best possible life, right up until the last moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The mystery of "Himmmm"

WARNING! Sweeping generalizations inside!