Advent Calendar: Day 11

Cirque du Soleil is undoubtedly the most famous circus in the world. Perhaps the only internationally-known one, since the demise of Ringling Bros and Barnum & Bailey in 2017. 

If you have ever seen their shows, you know they are a master of atmosphere. I have found very little crossover between the local dance and circus people, which is puzzling to me -- Cirque shows prove that there is room for both spectacle and musicality on the stage. There is always this sense that they exist in a strange twilight, not unlike that evoked by the movie Moulin Rouge. Everything is intentionally too strange and too much to be real And yet, it is right there, happening live in front of you.

I have to say it was also a trip going to see Zumanity, the burlesque revue, after having accidentally run away from home and joined the circus myself. I know people who do all of those things, and usually in a similar state of undress.

Several Cirque shows are available on YouTube, if you rummage around. This one, IRIS, is a tribute to the wondrous world of cinema. 

-------------------

If you want to see non-Advent Calendar posts during the holiday season, jump on over to my Patreon, and check out the different rewards. Subscribers get to see blog posts 24 hours early, videos of my dance work, extra essays about more personal subjects, and other things as they come to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The mystery of "Himmmm"

WARNING! Sweeping generalizations inside!