Advent Calendar: Day 3

Back in 2020, one of the ways I tried to keep myself from going bonkers was sewing. I always have a stash of fabric, if not from the local discount fabric store, then at least from various dead and dying garments I've disassembled for the raw materials. I started ages ago making bags and purses, and oddly enough, small plushies. Normally, those aren't novice projects; plushies can be small and fiddly and get into odd bits of 3D design that apparently most people have trouble with? I always just think of the seam lines like a wireframe model, but I also have an equally-amateur background in 3D CAD modeling, which most sewists don't.

Eventually I did get around to making actual clothing, for myself and others. I started those with commercial patterns, but didn't stay there long. Commercial patterns are drafted for a standard body with standard proportions, which is decidedly not me. So by the time I adjusted things for a full bust and hip and a short torso and wide shoulders and short rise... well, the original pattern wasn't very useful anymore. Learned a lot about gussets, though!

These days I mostly copy extant garments, or just drape things on myself in front of a mirror. But if you would like to do things in a more technically-correct, mathematical way, I recommend the Closet Historian. She has actual technical training, and here I have embedded her video on how to draft a basic bodice pattern that actually fits you. It's magic.

-------------------

If you want to see non-Advent Calendar posts during the holiday season, jump on over to my Patreon, and check out the different rewards. Subscribers get to see blog posts 24 hours early, videos of my dance work, extra essays about more personal subjects, and other things as they come to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The mystery of "Himmmm"

WARNING! Sweeping generalizations inside!